1 hour to prepare serves 10-12
- 2 (8.5 oz.) boxes corn muffin mix
- 2 Vidalia onions
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Chive cream cheese, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Carefully slice your onions into rings, making sure to leave them intact.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat and arrange 5-7 large onion ring sections in the center and around the edge of the pan. This will be the top of your “cake.” Fill in empty section with smaller pieces of onion.
- Sauté onions for 5-8 minutes, or until softened.
- While onions cook, beat eggs into corn muffin mix in a large bowl, then stir in cottage cheese, 3/4 cup melted butter and sugar.
- Once fully incorporated, fold in cheddar cheese, corn, bacon and green onions.
- Pour (thick) batter over the sautéed onions in the skillet, then transfer skillet to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully invert cornbread cake onto serving platter.
- Slice into wedges, serve with cream cheese (optional) and enjoy!