- 1 pound lean chuck beef, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into slices
- 3 large carrots, sliced into thick rounds
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 medium potatoes of any variety, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped flat parsley
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Coat the beef with the flour. Over medium heat, in a skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the beef then transfer to the slow cooker.
Add all other ingredients, except parsley, to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or when beef is very tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!
Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.