Serves: 8-10 servings
A simple dinner packed with so much flavor. This will become a family favorite!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) mild Ro-tel tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso)
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream, avocado, cilantro
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper; mix well and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred using two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker. Add cooked rice and beans and stir well. Sprinkle cheese evenly across the top and cover. Let heat through about 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish sour cream, cilantro and avocado, if desired..
If you want to keep the “spicyness” down then use mild Ro-tel and mild enchilada sauce. You can use any combination of cheeses, but I highly, highly recommend using sharp and pepper jack, it’s so good!
When you dump the shredded chicken back in, it may seem like there is too much liquid, but after you add the rice and beans, the rice absorbs the excess liquid, so don’t drain any of the liquid off.