YIELD: SERVES 8-10
COOK TIME: 4 HOURS
An easy and flavorful chicken soup made in the slow cooker, topped off with shredded cheese and seasoned tortilla strips.
- 1lb chicken breast, trimmed
- 15oz can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
- 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 5C chicken stock
- 3/4C onion, chopped
- 3/4C green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp ground pepper, divided
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Seasoned tortilla strips
- To your slow cooker add first 9 ingredients plus 1 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp ground pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Prior to serving, remove chicken breasts. Transfer chicken to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for easy shredding. Alternately you may shred chicken by hand. Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Return shredded seasoned chicken to slow cooker bowl. Stir gently.
- If serving immediately, divide among bowls. Top off with a generous helping of shredded cheese and seasoned tortilla strips. Soup may be stored in the fridge for up to several days. If freezing, label containers well with soup name and date.