Yield: About 5 servings
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 small)1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh marjoram (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 3/4 tsp dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups (5.6 oz) dry small elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (optional)
- Fresh chopped parsley and finely grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour mixture onto a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot over medium-high heat, add beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned. Drain fat from beef.
- Return sauteed veggies to pot along with beef broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, Worcestershire, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Add in pasta, cover and reduce heat to medium,. Boil stirring occasionally, until pasta has cooked through, about 15 – 20 minutes. If adding corn, stir in corn during last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Remove bay leaves, serve warm garnished with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese if desired.