Southwestern Crock-Pot Chicken and Rice recipe – cheesy chicken, vegetable and rice dish made in a slow cooker for an easy weeknight dinner. Peppers, corn, beans and a good mix of spices add a Southwestern flair to a classic.
Yields serves 5 to 6
Prep Time : 10 min
Cook Time : 5 hr
Total Time :5 hr, 10
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3,5oz. can green chiles
- 1 15oz. can whole kernel corn OR heaping 1 and 1/2 cups frozen sweet golden corn
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups water
- 14 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese (or a mix of cheddar and Jack)
- Pour tomato sauce on the bottom of Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Spread evenly.
- Add beans, pepper, onion, garlic, chiles, corn, rice, cumin, chili powder, paprika and chicken bouillon cube. Stir everything together. Add water and crushed tomatoes. Stir well.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the mixture. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Cook on HIGH for 4:30 hours. The chicken should be cooked (internal temperature of 165 degrees F). Remove the chicken, chop on cutting board. Return to the Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Stir everything together.
- Cover and cook additional 30 minutes OR until the rice is cooked.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.