- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 2 medium green bell peppers, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell peppers, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced basil leaves
- Sub rolls or cooked pasta
- In a large bowl, stir together tomato puree, garlic, sugar, oregano, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Add tomato puree mixture, sausage, peppers and onion to slow cooker crock. Stir until mixture is coated with sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir in basil before serving. Serve on sub rolls or over cooked pasta.