- 1½ – 2 pounds stew meat
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper)
- 2 cups beef broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (preferably fresh, not canned)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes, softened
- 4 tablespoons corn starch (or flour) + ½ cup beef broth
- 12 ounces short pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions (egg noodles are traditionally served with stroganoff but penne, macaroni, or spiral all work well)
- Lightly grease your slow cooker, then add stew meat and sprinkle Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste over the top. Add mushrooms, beef broth, garlic, Dijon mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir corn starch (or flour) into ½ cup beef broth and stir mixture into slow cooker. Add cream cheese and sour cream to slow cooker then cook another 20-30 minutes on high, stirring occasionally until cream cheese and sour cream are incorporated and sauce is thickened. Taste, add salt and pepper to your personal taste if needed, and stir in noodles. Serve immediately garnished with cracked black pepper and fresh thyme if desired.