Oohey Gooey Chocolate Cake
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 10-12
- 1 (18.25 oz.) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (16 oz.) box powdered sugar
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks butter, divided, melted
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
- 3-4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Mix cake mix with 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a large bowl until just combined, then transfer to greased baking dish. Use a rubber spatula to spread mixture into an even layer.
- In a separate bowl or mixer, beat cream cheese for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth, then add eggs one at a time, waiting for each to be incorporated before adding the next. Mix in cocoa powder and instant coffee granules until smooth.
- Gradually mix in powdered sugar (on low speed, if using a mixer), then drizzle in remaining melted butter and vanilla extract.
- If using, fold in chocolate chips until just combined.
- Pour mixture over batter in the baking dish and gently spread it into an even layer.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until edges are pulling away from the sides of baking dish and the center is just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 40 minutes, or until set.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!