Author: Martha | Simple Nourished Living
Recipe type: Weight Watchers Recipes with Points Plus: Breakfast
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the sugar, pumpkin, milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the pumpkin mixture. Using a spoon mix until just combined. Do not overmix or the doughnuts will be tough. Use a pastry bag or large plastic bag to pipe the mixture into the donut pan. Alternatively, you can spoon the batter into the molds, but the finished doughnuts may not appear as even.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed gently around the edges. Place the pan on a wire rack and let the doughnuts cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the molds to release the doughnuts. Invert the donuts on the rack and cool completely, or enjoy warm.
- The doughnuts can be eaten as is, sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar or decorated with your favorite icing and chopped nuts and/or candy sprinkles.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 doughnut): 148 calories, 2 grams of fat, 29 g carbs, and 1 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein and *4 Points Plus
Variation: Substitute applesauce for pumpkin for healthy baked applesauce doughnuts