Savory and spicy slow cooked Asian cashew chicken with minimal prep and the most amazing flavor.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 4 hours
Total time 4 hours 10 mins
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup Diamond of California Cashew Halves
- cooked white or brown rice, for serving
sauce (see note)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons cold water + 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Add oil to a large pan and preheat over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté 1-2 minutes, just long enough to brown the outside. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add bell peppers, onions, and green onions to slow cooker.
- Whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes. In another small bowl stir together cold water and corn starch til dissolved. Stir into soy sauce mixture. Pour over chicken and veggies and stir to coat.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours. About 30 minutes before serving stir in cashews. Serve hot over steamed white or brown rice.
If you like saucier dishes (like me!) I recommend doubling the sauce portion of the recipe.