Cooler weather is here…time to pull out the ever-faithful slow cooker! We love a good slow cooker meal, especially because the whole house smells delicious and inviting, and it means less work for us! One of our favorite meals is a creamy chicken and wild rice soup. It’s so easy to make and often we already have most of the ingredients on hand in the fridge and pantry. Throw everything into the slow cooker and come home to a comforting bowl of this hearty soup.
We keep the base of our soup fairly traditional, with carrot, celery, and onion, then add a bit of heartiness with wild rice and a touch of half-and-half for creaminess. And don’t forget slice of crusty bread to help scoop up any extra broth! We also love any leftovers heated up for lunch the next day. This meal is super simple to prepare and definitely easy to eat – our two favorite ingredients to any meal! Grab that slow cooker and get cooking!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Parsley, chopped, garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken, garlic, wild rice, carrots, celery, and onion into the slow cooker. Add 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Pour in 6 cups of chicken broth, then turn slow cooker on high and cook for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Just prior to serving, remove bay leaves and chicken breasts. Using 2 forks, shred chicken and return to slow cooker.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter on low. Once butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a roux, stirring until just combined. Slowly whisk in milk and half-and half until combined. Pour into slow cooker and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!