- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound loose mild Italian sausage
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups peeled, diced potato
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onions. Sauté until translucent and add the Italian sausage. Break apart the sausage with a spoon and stir occasionally. When the sausage is brown, remove from heat.
- In a soup pot, combine the potatoes, chicken stock and celery. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked sausage and onions to the soup pot. Add the cream and cheddar cheese, stirring until all ingredients are combined and warmed again. Serve with additional cheddar cheese and green onions sprinkled on top.