- 2 cups (280 g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (50 g) of white granulated sugar plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (140 g), room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (235 ml) whole milk
- 1 medium tart green apple, cored, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
1 Preheat oven, prepare pie dish: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-inch pie pan (can use a springform pan or square baking pan)
2 Whisk flour, baking powder, salt: In a medium bowl, whisk vigorously together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3 Make cinnamon sugar: In a separate small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp of the sugar with the cinnamon, set aside.
4 Beat butter and sugar, add eggs, add flour mixture and milk: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in the eggs until blended. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, beating after each addition until just combined.
5 Pour batter into baking dish, top with apple slices, cinnamon sugar: Pour half of the batter in the bottom of the baking dish. Lay the apple slices on the batter so they just cover the batter (you may have to overlap some slices). Sprinkle the apples with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Spread the rest of the batter over the apples.
7 Bake: Bake the cake at 375°F (190°C) for 30-35 minutes or until it is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.